4.21.2010

Chosen

I know so often when I wake up in the morning, my first thoughts are centered around me. I often think, "What fun things can I do today?" or "I wonder if anyone left a comment on my blog?" (it's true!). This morning I woke up with the song, "This is the cry of my heart, to worship You" stuck in my head. Though I immediately thought those two other thoughts I mentioned, the song stuck in my head made me realize what I was doing. I was being a hypocrite.

In John 15:16a, Christ says, "You did not chose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit - fruit that will last." This verse really struck me recently, and I've been meditating on it.

First of all, God chose me. It wasn't the other way around. I couldn't chose Him when I was dead in my transgressions and sins. I was dead for goodness' sake! And not only was I dead, but I was willfully rebellious against Him.

Yet even in my rebellious, dead state, God singled me out and chose to give me life. This fact alone should cause me to want to give Him my whole life. But there's even more. He not only chose me out of the world, but appointed me to a specific duty. This duty is to bear fruit for Him.

Interestingly, this verse says "to bear fruit that will last." What is fruit that will last? What immediately comes to my mind when I think of fruit (in the Bible, that is), is the Fruit of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, and so on. But I realized that fruit that will last is also pointing others to Christ.

So I challenge you this day, as I am challenging myself, to live life as one chosen by God! Let your actions, reactions, and interactions with others show that you are set apart for God's purpose. You are chosen for the beautiful task of bearing fruit for God. Should this not be the focus of every day, every minute, and every second?

12 vivid thoughts:

Bekah said... {Reply}

Lovely post, dear Melody. Thank you - I needed it so much today. What better way to start a new day but by reading an amazing post by a great friend? :)

Violet McDevitt said... {Reply}

Ill comment on your blog just to make you happy :))

I totally know what you mean though... Life seems to hit as SOON as we open our eyes... and we start worrying about the amount of times we can afford to push the snooze button on the alarm, and how many minutes we can waste online doing facebook and checking blogs before we have to actually start doing stuff thats productive... And the other things that hit one after another after that just ultimately cloud the actual MIRACLE of the morning--- I AM ALIVE! I AM BREATHING! :) God needs the first of everything- even and especially the first thought of the morning... :)

Cassandra said... {Reply}

Oh, yes, Melody! Amen!

So often I struggle with living "my" life instead of living the life that so rightfully belongs to my LORD and Savior.

Thank you so much for sharing!

Love in Christ,
Your friend,
Cassie =D

Amber Noella said... {Reply}

This is what happen to me this morning too. Often I've just been thinking about ME when I wake up first thing. But the Lord is disciplining me to give Him the morning first...(He's been waking me up at 5 in the morning!)

Rachel Kimberly said... {Reply}

A great post! I agree with you about putting the focus on God. He does the choosing. :) And thank you for the wonderful challenge. I need reminders like that often.

Blessings,
Evergreena

Emileigh Latham said... {Reply}

What a beautiful post! It makes me think of the verse in the MESSAGE, "Live a Lover's life." We are to live God's Romance through this world and the next.
Beautiful message, Melody!

Alena said... {Reply}

What an encouraging post Melody! Wonderful reminder to get my thoughts off of myself and on to those around me and what I am doing for Christ's sake.

~Lady Florimel~

Hannah Nicole said... {Reply}

Melody...something's waiting for your over at my blog...you might want to check it out. ;-)

Kendra Logan said... {Reply}

Great post!

~Kendra

Carrie Cooper said... {Reply}

Carrie @ comfortedbyGod.blogspot.com

Hi, Melody!
this is my first visit to your amazing blog...love your sweet & passionate heart for the Lord. Im not musical in any way, so I always admire talented people.

Your post hits right on target--we ALL think of ourselves first. Thats part of having a sin nature, and also the part that God ultimately transforms over time as we mature in Him.

Keep up the good work!

Emileigh Latham said... {Reply}

I tagged you for an award!

Melody said... {Reply}

Aw, you all are SO sweet! Thank-you for all of your wonderful comments. :) I am so glad this post ministered to you! I know it's what I needed to hear when I wrote it. (Isn't it funny how God will put a message in your heart - and then you realize that it's for you as well).

Blessings & hugs!

~Melody

 

Search my Blog

Come Follow me, ye Lovers of Vividry!