3.01.2010

Crowning Glory

I had a sort of revelation a few weeks ago. In the Bible study I go to, we're studying the gospel of John. We had just gotten to the chapter where Mary pours the perfume on Jesus' feet and then wipes them with her hair. I had never really given this story much thought - it's just a sweet story about Mary's love for Jesus, right? Well, I found out a lot more.

As I was reading through it, I realized that the focus of the story was that Mary was using such expensive perfume on Jesus, which Judas pointed out was a waste of money. But Jesus vindicated her, and said that Mary had her priorities right - that He would not be with them much longer and he was deserving of the most costly devotion they could give him.

As I thought about this, I realized another layer to the story. I thought of the verse in the Bible where it talks about woman's hair being her crowning glory. And that made me see the deeper layer. Mary was showing that she treasured Jesus not only by lavishing expensive perfume on his feet, but also by using her "glory" to serve at his feet.

This reminds me of the song, "We Fall Down, we lay our crowns at the feet of Jesus." And I had to ask myself, "What glory of mine do I need to lay at the feet of Jesus?" I have a tendency to hold on to my "glories", such as my talents, accomplishments, and even just the way I look. But only when I pour them out at Jesus' feet, desiring them to be a blessing to Him and to point others to His life and work, shall I myself be blessed.

And I know when I do this, it is a sweet aroma to Him - just as Mary's perfume must have been.

0 vivid thoughts:

 

Search my Blog

Come Follow me, ye Lovers of Vividry!