12.28.2010

A Story Unfolding

What with Christmas and New Year's, college break and travel plans, friends to see and relatives to remember, I have been busy as all get out.

But somewhere, in the midst of it all, inspiration's spark has been flaming brightly. I am writing as never before... stories, poems, you name it. I very much want to share my work with you all, but I don't want to jeopardize whatever future publishing ability/rights I may have.

However, I have come up with a solution. I will post small excerpts on my blog, and if you would like to read more (which I would love if you did!), you can simply email me (under "Contact Me" up in the header) and I shall send you the link for the story or work-in-progress in a google doc.

I wrote this beginning some time ago, about the time where I was involved a car accident (no one was hurt or anything, thankfully). The idea and memories took a hold of me so powerfully that I had to get it down. Only recently have I looked at it, and picked up my pen again.

You never expect it to happen. Things come up, life continues on, and yet you never expect it to happen.

It was a Monday, the day Yvette and I go to our piano class. I was thinking about my upcoming job interview, and the Bible Study we had that night. I don’t know what she was thinking about. It was silent in the car, but a companionable silence. I remember that she had a slight smile on her face, though her eyes were locked dead ahead as she drove. I looked out the window at the green trees, feeling the slight summer breeze that blew through the space at the top. It was a typical day.

You never expect an accident to happen. You never plan it into your day like you would any other thing: “Dentist Appointment at 2:00 on Wednesday, go to grocery store on Friday, have a car accident Monday at 11:00.” No.

If we knew everything that happened in our day, would we even want to begin? I think not.

Certainly, if I had known about the accident when I woke up that morning, I wouldn’t have gotten out of bed with a smile on my face and excitement in my heart. I wouldn’t have planned how Katie and I would do a sleepover that Friday, and how I was going to finally sit down and paint the roses that were wilting on my windowsill. I don’t know what I would have done had I known. Perhaps I would have just killed myself then and there.

The car hit us dead on. I can see it in my mind, clear as day, coming closer and closer and closer. I remember noting that it was a Honda Civic: sleek, classy, bright red. The person was trying to pass a slowpoke in front of them, and misjudged the distance. My sister tried to swerve, tried to scream, tried to do something to save us. And she almost succeeded. She saved me.
copyright Melody 2010

This is my current inspiration, the story that is gripping me heart and soul. I am not sure yet how it shall unfold, but it is taking shape, oh so slowly.

So, feel free to email me if you'd like to come along for the ride. But I warn you... it's not a smooth one.

0 vivid thoughts:

 

Search my Blog

Come Follow me, ye Lovers of Vividry!