7.25.2011

All about Him

As I was reading my Bible this morning, I came across this passage in Colossians:
So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. ~Colossians 2:6-7 (NIV)

I've always loved these verses, but this time I read them I really tried to think about what it meant to live in Christ, to be rooted and built up in him.There's a lot packed into these two short verses.

From the very beginning of the verse, it's evident that I ought to live in Christ as I have received him. And how have I received him? As Lord. So my day to day living ought to always be with the attitude that He is my Lord, and I am His servant. He is my Master, I am His slave. My time, my possessions, my thoughts, my actions, my very life is not my own; it is a gift from my Master to use for Him.

As I live in Christ, I must also be rooted and built up in Him. I cannot just "abide" passively; I must dig down deep, always desiring to know more of Him. He sinks my rootlets down into real roots when I study and apply His word to my life. And He builds my character house up high when I listen to His voice and obey.

I must also be careful to continue in the same faith as I was taught, and not waver from the seemingly simple truths. Do I remind myself daily that Jesus loves me, that He died on the cross to save me? Do I remember that God is my Maker and made everything I can see (and more besides)?

The end of the verse could easily be skimmed over, but I think it's the most important. After all these other foundations are laid down - living in Christ, being rooted and built up in Him, and strengthened in the faith - then the natural result is overflowing with thankfulness to God. Thankfulness that He would use me as His servant, that He would root and build me up in Himself, and that He would be willing to die for me. As you can see, it's all about Him - we are simply the blessed beneficiaries of His grace. Oh that I would seek to praise Him even more!

1 vivid thoughts:

emii said... {Reply}

Exactly what I've been thinking lately. Beautifully put.

 

Search my Blog

Come Follow me, ye Lovers of Vividry!