10.07.2010

A Small Part of the Kaleidoscope

College is like a huge kaleidoscope - so many different colors, shades, textures, shapes, and the like. So I figured it would be best to answer your questions in a few posts, so you get a few manageable glimpses. (I only wish it could be like that for me!) ;)

First off, the basics. I'm going to Cedarville University (typically referred to as being "in the middle of a cornfield"). Cedarville is a Christian university, and as such, challenges me in my walk with Christ every day. I am so glad I am going to a Christian college instead of a secular one, because the atmosphere here is just so amazing. The people I am surrounded with are all living examples of being on a journey towards Christlikeness. Of course no one is perfect, but I appreciate all the kindnesses: of guys opening the doors for you, random deep theological discussions over lunch, and professors who pray for you and desire you to draw closer to Christ. Everywhere I go, I'm surrounded by something inspiring.

I'm studying music - my degree is in Piano Pedagogy, which basically means I'm studying to be a piano teacher. I love all aspects of music (and hope to be taking a composition class soon!) but I think this degree is the most valuable for me, as I will have a ready-made job all set for me, and also hopefully be able to be a wife and mother like I desire. 

I'm living on campus (almost all of the students do, actually). The dorms are actually pretty decent - they feel small, but I think that has something to do with the fact that we un-bunked our beds. ;) My roommate and I are very compatible - both of us rather quiet and studious. We're also both music majors, which is very cool because we can "talk music" together.

One of the questions asked about how I've been able to transition from being homeschooled to college. Actually, it hasn't been that difficult. Being homeschooled gave me the advantage of being disciplined with my time. (I know just because you're homeschooled doesn't mean you're disciplined, but for the most part I was, which helped.) I think the hardest thing to transition was the constant "on the go" every day. On average, I'm away from the dorm 8am to 4pm each day, which was quite an adjustment for this homebody. ;) But now that I'm getting used to the schedule, it is beginning to feel comfortable (though I still like home best).

Another question was on looking for colleges in high school. Honestly, I didn't really start looking at colleges until I received the legendary piles of mail from colleges after taking the ACT test (I believe that was in my junior year). I evaluated colleges by a few criterion: What were their beliefs? Were they close enough to home? Were they small enough for my liking? Did they have a good music school? Did they have a pedagogy program? (Surprisingly, most colleges don't.) These were just the things I decided I wanted most in a college...  you'll have to come up with your own criteria yourself.

Of course, I also prayed extensively about this. I believe I can honestly say God wants me here at Cedarville. And I am so glad He has placed me here - a place where I can grow, learn, and broaden my understanding of Him and everything He has created.
No matter how crazy the kaleidoscope turns, or how jumbled the pieces of life seem, I am thankful that I can see Him shining through it all.

In my next post, I'll answer your questions that are more along the lines of school and routine. 'Till then, friends! :) 

0 vivid thoughts:

 

Search my Blog

Come Follow me, ye Lovers of Vividry!