9.19.2010

Breaking Up (Guest Post)

It happens way too fast and I see it far too often.

One summer afternoon, someone wanted to talk.  So we sat down.  I listened to everything.  It was a story far too familiar. The same guy who had been through ripping apart three girls' hearts had set his attention to the next.  His looks had every girl fall for him.  He covered his facade with a smile. 

"He's different now.. It's not the same.  I think he's serious now.  He did this and this and this.  He calls now. He really cares now".

After our talk and a couple months later, I heard.  She was upset.  There were tears.  He was over.  The "us"  was gone.  And the victim had another heart torn.  

Over the years, I've seen him move on.  I don't see him but once every year around usually.  I was walking with a good friend of mine through the crowds last month.  There he was again.  Surrounded by a group of girls.  He was always flashing another smile.  It made me sick.  

I couldn't believe anyone could be so blind.  How can each one of them give their hearts to a guy would just throw it away?  Could anyone see the stories before?

I felt angry.  I wanted to go over and slug him.   Then.... I realized this is us

We come to God about the world:  "But, God!! It's different now.  It's not the same thing like it was before.  It's fine." We give a speech.  We're ready to defend everything for our heart.

He says, "Listen.  It will tear you up.  Listen to me!  Don't follow your heart! Don't follow the world! This isn't what you want!" 

But, we run after it anyway.  We think we are in love.  We think everything is great.  Then the split happens.  We get hurt.  

We come back with tears. "God, where were you?  Did you care?  Why did this happen?" 

And just as we are sitting there crying - the world is already gone, setting after the next victim.
I'm not just talking about boyfriend-girlfriend split-ups. 

I'm not even talking about the world. 
I'm talking about us. 
Somehow along the way, we kind of forget that our hearts aren't bulletproof.  We somehow think we can be our own heroes.  We fall for the fake smiles of the world.  We jump before we know it.  Then, we get hurt.  It happens so fast. 

We jump and fall before we look.  Then, the fall happens.  We get hurt.  Sometimes, we just get away with some bruises and bumps.  Others come out with broken bones.  Then we wake up and think, "Woah!  Wait a minute..."

So many times, we think we can convince ourselves by saying in our heads, "I don't care.  This won't happen to me."

Then, your heart says, "Well, stupid.  You do care."  

I'm urging you brothers and sisters to guard your hearts.  Don't follow the world.  I'm in the battle with you!  Keep Fighting.  The world is watching. 

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
- Romans 12:1-2
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jessica is the author of this post and from the blog Far From Perfect!  She enjoys photography, writing, spending time with her family and friends, as well as learning more how to serve the LORD of her heart.

0 vivid thoughts:

 

Search my Blog

Come Follow me, ye Lovers of Vividry!